PHILIPPINES: Analysts doubt Coca-Cola Amatil will agree to San Miguel proposal
There are major doubts that Coca-Cola Amatil will sell back its Philippines bottling business to one of its major shareholders, brewing giant San Miguel.Apparently San Miguel has made an informal proposal to buy back Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines for between $1 billion and $2 billion. But according to analysts the market is likely to react badly to any sale, especially as the value suggested is a far cry from the price CCA paid when it bought the business from San Miguel and Coca-Cola Co, three years ago. The proposal by San Miguel follows a 10% slump in consumption of Coca-Cola in the Philippines in 1999, a slump which CCA says is due to a general downturn in consumer confidence.A CCA spokesman said: "no proposal has been put to us." He continued by saying that CCA is forecasting an eventual return to sales growth in the Philippines, which had been 33% two years ago. San Miguel received 220 million CCA shares for its 70% stake in the company and the market was a major one for CCA, making up about 40% of its total sales.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Half-year sales lift for Pernod Ricard
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research