UK: Analyst plumps for Bacardi in race for Vin & Sprit
Bacardi has been tipped as the most likely winner for the hand of Vin & Sprit, should the Swedish company be put up for sale.
Simon Hale, an analyst at Dresdner Kleinwort, said yesterday (17 September) that he believes Bacardi would be the front-runner for V&S, as it is in a position to pay the highest price for the company. Local reports yesterday also cited the Swedish Ministry of Industry and Trade as picking Bacardi as the best-placed potential bidder.
Among the other purported contenders for V&S are Fortune Brands, Diageo and Pernod Ricard. The latter two, as well as Bacardi, are widely-thought to be at a disadvantage to Fortune, however, as they already have high-profile vodka brands in their portfolios. While Diageo and Pernod have Smirnoff and Stolichnaya respectively, Bacardi owns the Grey Goose brand.
Fortune is believed to be in the strongest position, should the Swedish parliament approve the sale of the state-owned company, due to its distribution deal for V&S' Absolut vodka in the US.
A decision from the Swedish government concerning V&S is expected before the end of the year.
The steep rise in alcohol duties announced in yesterday's Budget, which the Government says will help to tackle binge drinking, follows the publication of its review of the 2005 Licensing Act last wee...
As a practical, economical and lightweight packaging medium, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is without peer and has become widely used by soft drinks producers. But as environmental pressures have g...
Baltika has confirmed a marked lift in its full-year dividend payment to shareholders....
Newer beverage lines continue to drive growth in the US soft drink market, which enlarged by 1.3% in 2007, according to figures released this week....
The Czech government has selected a law firm to handle Budejovicky Budvar's switch from state-owned brewer to a joint-stock company, according to local reports....
Asia Pacific Breweries has completed the construction of its greenfield brewery in Laos....
Carlsberg's bid to take over part of Scottish & Newcastle has been approved by the European Union....
Heineken-APB (China) has bought up the remaining shares in Shanghai Asia Pacific Brewery that it does not already own....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends