US: Analyst cools Anheuser deal speculation
Stifel Nicolaus has cut its rating on shares of Anheuser-Busch to "Hold" from "Buy", saying it had made the decision on valuation.
"Valuation was the basis of our upgrade in March, and recent strength makes the shares less compelling, in our estimation, than they were then," its analyst Mark Swartzberg said in a research note.
He added that recently AB shares had rallied on takeout speculation.
"It is possible that a deal is imminent, and comparable transaction multiples yield a reasonable takeout price around $60 per share, by our analysis," the note said.
"However, we have no knowledge of any M&A negotiations or discussions between Anheuser and any other party, are unconvinced a deal is in hand, and generally view takeout potential as an inadequate basis for owning a stock."
Stifel Nicolaus' 12-month fair value estimate remains US$54 per share.
View 10 of the top stories published on just-drinks this week....
Tsingtao Brewery has bought a 39% stake in the joint venture owned by fellow Chinese brewer Yantai and Japanese brewer Asahi....
Anheuser-Busch shareholders have voted to approve the brewer's takeover by InBev, as both brewers re-iterate that the deal remains on track....
InBev may look to sell its Beck's beer brand as part of disposals following the brewer's takeover of Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has said that it has settled all shareholder litigation regarding its impending takeover by InBev....
Scroll down to view the top 10 stories published on just-drinks this week....
Anheuser-Busch has promised its workers in the US that its breweries in the country will not be closed in the next five years....
InBev has said that net profit fell 14% in the third quarter of 2008, with a slowdown in Russia and the UK putting pressure on beer volumes....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future