JAPAN/TURKEY: Anadolu Efes denies Asahi Breweries sale talks
Anadolu Efes denies talks with Asahi Breweries over sale
Turkey's leading brewer, Anadolu Efes, has denied that it is in talks with Japan's Asahi Breweries over a potential sale of its business.
Asahi is in negotiations with Anadolu Efes regarding a possible takeover deal, Turkey's Hurriyet Daily newspaper quoted an Asahi adviser as saying yesterday (25 November).
However, Anadolu Efes said today that it wants to remain independent. "Anadolu Efes maintains its intention to further strengthen and grow its existing operations by itself," said the brewer, which also bottles soft drinks for The Coca-Cola Co in Turkey and is the fourth largest brewer by volume in Russia.
"In that respect, there is no such talk or negotiation between Anadolu Efes and Asahi and/or another third party representing Asahi," said the group. It added that its "successful beer operations attract [the] interest of several companies".
Hurriyet Daily quoted Asahi's adviser, Sakuoki Higashi, as saying that the Japanese brewer wants to use Anadolu Efes to build up its presence in the Middle East and Europe.
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends