CHINA: Amnesty Int'l calls on Carlsberg help in Tibet
Amnesty International has called on Carlsberg to help defend human rights in Tibet.
The organisation has asked the brewer, which holds a 50% stake in Lhasa Brewery with the Tibet Galaxy Science & Technology Development Co, to advise Chinese authorities that Amnesty is closely following the violation of human rights in the region. China lays claim to the region, and has occupied Tibet since 1950.
Speaking to just-drinks today, Jesper Madsen, Carlsberg's senior vice president for Asia, said the brewer is in the country in an economic, rather than political, capacity. "We are not involved in politics," he said. "We are looking to create employment in the province, which of course is good for the economy. We stay out of the political arena."
The brewery in the capital, Lhasa, was officially inaugurated in September 2004.
Carlsberg has shown interest in becoming the main sponsor for the Champions League, which is currently sponsored by Heineken....
Grupo Modelo and Carlsberg have sealed a deal that will see the Mexican giant import and distribute the Danish brand in Mexico by the second half of the year....
Czech brewing company Budejovicky Budvar is considering plans to distribute Carlsberg beer in the Czech Republic....
Carlsberg is set to invest heavily this year in an effort to strengthen its position in the global beer market, according to local reports....
Carlsberg UK and Live Nation have teamed up together in a long-term partnership agreement....
Foster's and Carlsberg have secured a brewing tie-up in Australia....
Carlsberg has won approval from the Danish authorities to amend its charter....
Carlsberg has sealed the purchase of its first brewery in India....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China