US: American Beverage Association says energy drinks vote a "slippery slope"
The Suffolk health board wants the sale of energy drinks banned to under-19s
The American Beverage Association (ABA) has warned of a legislative “slippery slope” after a New York county health board urged lawmakers to ban the sale of caffeine-based energy drinks to young people.
On Wednesday, Suffolk County's Board of Health voted in favour of a ban on energy drinks sales to under-19s, according to a report. Board members said health dangers include elevated heart rates, high blood pressure, dizziness and even death.
“We're here to try to protect our children and we have to keep their best interests at heart,” health board member Tracy Trypuc was quoted as saying.
But the ABA said yesterday (29 November) that health legislation singling out energy drinks is unfair as most contain half the caffeine of a coffee shop coffee. “To be consistent, coffeehouses would need to card young adults before serving them coffee or tea,” an ABA spokesperson told just-drinks.
“Policymakers should be aware of the slippery slope such a ban would create."
The Suffolk board also sent a letter to energy drinks opponents senators Richard Blumenthal and Dick Durbin asking them to push for a federal ban. Blumenthal and Durbin both received a letter from the Food and Drug Administration last week responding to their request for tighter scrutiny of the energy drinks sector.
The spokesperson added: “It’s our responsibility as an association representing the mainstream energy drink manufacturers to play a positive role in addressing these issues.”
Soft drinks are becoming a target for health campaigners in the same way as tobacco and alcohol are. Increased taxes are now a real threat. But, as Richard Corbett argues, if producers move swiftly th...
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)