AmBev ups craft beer focus with Wäls Brewery tie-up
AmBev is to develop a range of craft beers after teaming up with Brazilian microbrewer Wäls Brewery.
The Brazilian unit of Anheuser-Busch InBev will control Wäls through its Bohemia Brewery division, an AmBev spokesperson told just-drinks today. Bohemia will take over the assets and portfolio of Wäls and the two breweries will work together to develop new beers, the spokesperson said.
Financial details of the deal, which was agreed at the start of this month, have not been disclosed.
The move mirrors A-B InBev's focus on craft beer acquisitions in the US, which last year saw the company buy New York's Blue Point and Oregon's 10 Barrel Brewing. It is also in the process of acquiring Seattle's Elysian Brewing Co.
Founded in 1999 in the south-eastern state of Minas Gerais, Wäls produces on average 6,000 hectolitres of beer a year.
Companies: Anheuser-Busch InBev
This month, Richard Corbett considers whether low-/no-alcohol beer could eat into soft drinks' share of throat....
Having shared their thoughts on what trends will shape the spirits category in 2016, Euromonitor considers the corporate side of the segment, Senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington forecast...
Anheuser-Busch is using its return to NASCAR sponsorship to launch a range of limited-edition racing-inspired packaging for its Busch brand....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts