BRAZIL: AmBev Q2 net nearly triples but volumes fall
The Brazilian brewing giant AmBev this week announced a second-quarter profit that has risen nearly three times on the same figure for last year. The company said the gains were the result of price rises and currency gains.
AmBev posted a second-quarter net profit of 358.7m reals (US$118m) compared to the 127.5 million reals it made in the same three-month period in 2001, with prices rising 12%.
However the company was still beset by weak demand due to slow growth in Brazil and Ambev experienced a 2% fall in volumes.
AmBev said it was taking "emergency measures" to combat the fall in value of the Real, which has meant that dollar-denomiated prices of raw materials has leapt. However it said these measures did not include cutting staff numbers or closing plants.
The measures may include a review of the company's pricing policy though.
Despite the disappointing volumes performance, AmBev said it would catch up and match 2001 volumes. But the company will need a third quarter up on last year and a fourth quarter much better than last year.
Companies: Anheuser-Busch InBev
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends