BRAZIL: Ambev profits fall 40% in Q1
Brazilian brewer AmBev has seen a 40% fall in first quarter net profit, it said today, as it was hit by a decline in domestic beer sales.
Net profit reached 305 million reais (US$99m) in the first quarter, down from 509m reais in the sale period a year ago.
However, AmBev's consolidated EBITDA reached R$893.6m, a 32% increase compared to the year-ago quarter.
In a statement the company said: "After the challenges we experienced in the fourth quarter 2003, with market share losses in our Brazilian beer core business and consequently poor bottom line results, we are pleased to announce the first quarter 2004 results. Our EBITDA reached R$893.6 million, representing a 32% growth year on year and our market share increased from 63.2% in December to 65.0% in March, an increase of 180 basis points. We feel confident we are on track to a sustainable and profitable market share recovery that will lead us back to our 67 to 70% market share range.
"Our people are very energized with the challenges we have for this year and are very committed to deliver them. The drive and morale of our team are both very high, despite the absence of bonuses in 2003. Going forward, we recognize we still have some great challenges ahead of us for 2004, but we are sure that our team has got what it takes to get there."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World