BRAZIL: Ambev profits fall 40% in Q1
Brazilian brewer AmBev has seen a 40% fall in first quarter net profit, it said today, as it was hit by a decline in domestic beer sales.
Net profit reached 305 million reais (US$99m) in the first quarter, down from 509m reais in the sale period a year ago.
However, AmBev's consolidated EBITDA reached R$893.6m, a 32% increase compared to the year-ago quarter.
In a statement the company said: "After the challenges we experienced in the fourth quarter 2003, with market share losses in our Brazilian beer core business and consequently poor bottom line results, we are pleased to announce the first quarter 2004 results. Our EBITDA reached R$893.6 million, representing a 32% growth year on year and our market share increased from 63.2% in December to 65.0% in March, an increase of 180 basis points. We feel confident we are on track to a sustainable and profitable market share recovery that will lead us back to our 67 to 70% market share range.
"Our people are very energized with the challenges we have for this year and are very committed to deliver them. The drive and morale of our team are both very high, despite the absence of bonuses in 2003. Going forward, we recognize we still have some great challenges ahead of us for 2004, but we are sure that our team has got what it takes to get there."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015