PERU: Ambev not yet beaten in Backus battle
Ambev has said that its battle to show that the Peruvian brewer Union de Cervecerias Peruanas Backus & Johnston SAA, or Backus, has alledgedly abused its monopoly position hasn't been decided yet.
Ambev and Backus are in a legal fight that centres around the demand by Ambev to be able to use the bottles that Backus also uses in the local market.
Ambev, which is trying to enter the Peruvian market and break the Backus monopoly, wants to enter into the local bottle exchange system.
However, Backus argues that the existing bottles belong to them and represent a significant investment.
Yesterday, it was reported that the Peruvian government consumer defense agency Indecopi had ruled that since all the companies that make beer in Peru belong to Backus there wasn't any system to swap the bottles.
However,it was reported today that Ambev has now said that Indecopi is still examining whether Backus is involved in anticompetitive practices.
"The (Indecopi) resolution hasn't ended that process," Ambev Peru said, adding that it expects that Indecopi will eventually decide that Backus has abused its monopoly position.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review