BRAZIL: Ambev increases stake in Astra
Brazilian drinks group, Ambev, has raised its stake in Sao Luis-based brewer, Cervejaria Astra Unidade Equatorial, from 73.13% to 93.61%. The group acquired the additional shares from the Ceara-based food group, J. Macedo, for R$104m. Meanwhile, Ambev remains embroiled in the controversy over its merger with the Argentinean brewing group, Quinsa, which has been challenged by Heineken. The Dutch group is already a minority shareholder in Quinsa and believes that it should have been given first refusal on increasing its stake. Heineken said on Friday that it would be prepared to buy 36% of the Argentine company if the deal with Ambev does not go through.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends