BRAZIL: AmBev first quarter EBITDA up 14.2%
Net profit fell by 9.2% in the first quarter to BR222.8m ($92.8m), with the company attributing the disappointing performance to wet weather. "We are very strict with ourselves to never use the weather as an excuse for worse volumes but really in the first quarter it is undeniable that the weather got in the way," said AmBev's director of finance and investor Relations Felipe Dutra.
Beer sales in Brazil fell by 12.3% while soft drinks sales fell by 6.7%. However, first quarter turnover at AmBev, which last week acquired a minority stake in leading Argentine brewer Quilmes Industrial SA for $346.4m, rose by 9.6% to BR1.66 billion.
The company, the world's fourth largest brewer whose key brands include Skol, Brahma and Antarctica, said its share of the Brazilian beer market in March had fallen to 67.5% against 68.5% at the end of last year.
AmBev, which was created by the merger in 2000 of Brazil's largest drinks forces, Brahma and Antarctica, recorded a 67% increase in net profit in 2001, with cost savings and efficiency improvements from the merger offsetting the weakness in the Brazilian market.
The group also announced that it plans to distribute its soft drink brand, Guarana Antarctica, in Japan during the World Cup in June. The brand is expected to be handled by PepsiCo.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
InBev UK is launching its first advertising campaign for Brazilian premium lager Brahma in September as part of a GBP5m support package behind the brand this year....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
AmBev shareholders in Brazil are to vote on merging with InBev Holding Brasil....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review