BRAZIL: Ambev expects volume fall for full year
The announcement, on a conference call with analysts, comes after the company revealed third quarter sales in Brazil had fallen 12.3%. However Ambev still managed to post an increase in EBITDA on the back of price rises and better product mix.
"In light of the higher-than-anticipated volume decline during the third quarter 2003 and considering that volumes for October were weak on a year-over-year basis ... we expect overall volumes for 2003 to slightly decline related to 2002," Luiz Fernando, AmBev sales and distribution director said yesterday.
Brazil's weak economy, price increase by Ambev that have not been followed by its rivals, aggressive marketing by competitor Schincariol and poor weather were blamed fort AmBev's poor volume performance in the third quarter.
Over the three months the company's market share also fell by 4% to 66%. And Fernando said that Ambev "might" have seen a further one percentage point drop in October.
Speaking of a recovery co-chairman Marcel Hermann Telles said: "It is going to take time, but we will respond in our own way," he said. "We will concentrate on the basic things that we know how to do, of course with redoubled vigor ... Everyone here is in a kind of war mood."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future