PERU: Ambev and Backus clash over ad campaign
AmBev, the Latin American brewer that is now part of the world's largest brewer InBev, has launched an advertising campaign in Peru that claims that Peruvian brewer Union de Cervecerias Peruanas Backus & Johnston SAA (Backus), is selling the most expensive beer in South America.
Ambev and Backus have been at loggerheads since it emerged that Ambev was building a brewery in Peru with plans to sell beer there, a country where Backus has a monopoly at present.
Backus has hit back at the adverts and filed a complaint with consumer defence agency Indecopi, alleging that Ambev Peru's arguments were false and demanding that it pull the advertising campaign.
However Ambev is standing by its claims and a spokesperson for the company yesterday said: "The studies we have carried out show that the beer that is sold in Peru is the most expensive in South America."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
San Miguel Brewery Hong Kong has secured a deal to distribute InBev's products in the city and neighbouring Macau....
Investment bank Goldman Sachs has restarted coverage of InBev. It has given the world's largest brewer by volume an "outperform" rating....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends