FINLAND: Altia meets with staff over wine production switch
Altia said wine demand has not grown
Altia is seeking to relocate its wine production from Denmark to Finland after demand in northern Europe failed to meet the company's expectations.
The Finnish company, which this month agreed to buy Larsen Cognac from Rémy Cointreau, said it will meet with Danish staff today (13 September) to discuss a move. About 100 employees at Altia's Svendborg plant in Denmark would be affected by the move to Rajamäki, about 30 miles north of Helsinki.
In a statement yesterday, Altia said: “The main reason for possible relocation is the current idle production capacity of Altia bottling plants. The demand of wines has not grown on the market as expected.”
Altia blamed a “challenging” market market situation in Nordic and Baltic countries and increased competition for the shortfall in demand for wine and the Scandinavian mulled wine glögg.
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global spirits market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global wine market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest...
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts