FINLAND: Altia meets with staff over wine production switch
Altia said wine demand has not grown
Altia is seeking to relocate its wine production from Denmark to Finland after demand in northern Europe failed to meet the company's expectations.
The Finnish company, which this month agreed to buy Larsen Cognac from Rémy Cointreau, said it will meet with Danish staff today (13 September) to discuss a move. About 100 employees at Altia's Svendborg plant in Denmark would be affected by the move to Rajamäki, about 30 miles north of Helsinki.
In a statement yesterday, Altia said: “The main reason for possible relocation is the current idle production capacity of Altia bottling plants. The demand of wines has not grown on the market as expected.”
Altia blamed a “challenging” market market situation in Nordic and Baltic countries and increased competition for the shortfall in demand for wine and the Scandinavian mulled wine glögg.
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global spirits market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global wine market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest...
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research