FINLAND: Altia meets with staff over wine production switch
Altia said wine demand has not grown
Altia is seeking to relocate its wine production from Denmark to Finland after demand in northern Europe failed to meet the company's expectations.
The Finnish company, which this month agreed to buy Larsen Cognac from Rémy Cointreau, said it will meet with Danish staff today (13 September) to discuss a move. About 100 employees at Altia's Svendborg plant in Denmark would be affected by the move to Rajamäki, about 30 miles north of Helsinki.
In a statement yesterday, Altia said: “The main reason for possible relocation is the current idle production capacity of Altia bottling plants. The demand of wines has not grown on the market as expected.”
Altia blamed a “challenging” market market situation in Nordic and Baltic countries and increased competition for the shortfall in demand for wine and the Scandinavian mulled wine glögg.
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
As one would expect, yesterday's news that Remy Cointreau's CEO, Frederic Pflanz, has stepped down after just three months in the role hit the French company's share price this morning....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends