UK: Allied wine focus increased as Balbi brought in-house
The move will see Balbi range of wines move from its current distributor Guy Anderson Wines to Allied with immediate effect. Guy Anderson has been distributor for the brand since its UK launch in 1995.
The move is part of an overhaul that will see Allied refocusing efforts on
premium wine, which included the acquisition late last year of Mumm and Perrier
A source close to the company said: "Realistically you can say that Allied has identified premium wine driving organic growth."
Last year just-drinks.com reported how Philip Bowman, Allied's CEO, believed the wine division should play an increasingly important role in the company's strategy.
It remains to be seen what will happen to Allied's other wines which are distributed out of house, including brands from Rioja and California. However, industry insiders agree that the Balbi move is part of a larger picture that will probably include further acquisitions in the coming year.
On announcing the Balbi move Chris Heath ADSW (UK) managing director said " We have undertaken a detailed review on how we can fully utilise the value of the group's premium wine assets in the UK and have concluded that the time is now right to bring the Balbi range of wines into our portfolio. Guy Anderson has done an excellent job in building distribution and sales and we would like to thank them for their valuable contribution in putting Balbi on the wine map."
Guy Anderson said "We have enjoyed working with the team at Balbi and wish them every success with Allied Domecq."
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Cautious optimism is probably the best way to describe today's press reaction to Pernod's friendly bid for Allied Domecq....
Spirits firm Allied Domecq has agreed to a takeover bid from smaller rival Pernod Ricard, subject to agreement from Allied shareholders....
Allied Domecq last night accepted Pernod Ricard's offer to buy the UK-based drinks giant....
Allied Domecq today delivered a 7% increase in first half group profits before tax to £285m. Earnings per share were up 7% to 19.2p, turnover that was flat at £1,700m....
Drinks producer and distributor Todhunter International has said that its controlling shareholder, CL Financial, is interested in acquiring some of the brands of Allied Domecq that may become availabl...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research