SPAIN: Allied favourite in potential Bodegas Y Bebidas sale
Following Spanish financial press reports that leading Spanish bank BBVA was in the final stages of a deal to sell its 39.1% stake in winemaker Bodegas y Bebidas to Allied Domecq, the bank has confirmed that it is considering "various alternatives" with regard to its shareholding
In an official note to the Madrid Stock Exchange, BBVA stated that no deal had been done but it was examining a number of different future strategies with regard to its involvement in the wine business.
No one in Allied Domecq was available for comment but financial analysts in Madrid and Bilbao feel it is only a matter of time before some deal is done.
If Allied were to purchase the BBVA stake, Spanish legislation would require that the same offer be made to other shareholders. The alternative would be to purchase less than 25% and then seek control at a future date.
For several months sources close to BBVA have indicated the bank's wish to sell its stake in B & B. Cava producer, Freixenet has been involved in on and off discussions but it would seem that Allied Domecq is now favourite to add to its Spanish brand portfolio.
Neil Everitt, the CEO of Allied Domecq Spain has stated on several occasions it is looking to increase the company's involvement in quality wines and wineries. Allied Domecq have made increasing investments in their Marques de Arienzo winery at Laguardia in Rioja and their crianzas and reservas have a solid reputation in many European markets.
Wines & Spirits in Spain 2001
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Cautious optimism is probably the best way to describe today's press reaction to Pernod's friendly bid for Allied Domecq....
Spirits firm Allied Domecq has agreed to a takeover bid from smaller rival Pernod Ricard, subject to agreement from Allied shareholders....
Allied Domecq last night accepted Pernod Ricard's offer to buy the UK-based drinks giant....
Allied Domecq today delivered a 7% increase in first half group profits before tax to £285m. Earnings per share were up 7% to 19.2p, turnover that was flat at £1,700m....
Drinks producer and distributor Todhunter International has said that its controlling shareholder, CL Financial, is interested in acquiring some of the brands of Allied Domecq that may become availabl...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report