UK: Allied eyes Peter Lehmann distribution deal
As reported in just-drinks last week, Allied Domecq has raised its stake in the Australian winemaker to 14.5%. But the move is not thought to be a precursor to a full takover.
Speaking at the time Allied Domecq's corporate affairs director, Stephen Whitehead, said: "We believe that a close working relationship between Allied Domecq and Peter Lehmann Wines could improve their profitability, primarily through distribution arrangements most notably in the UK.
"The Allied Domecq wine strategy is delivering growth, as revealed at our interims, and distribution alignment in selective markets with PLW would deliver useful synergies for PLW and help them overcome some of their short-term performance issues."
And a report today in the Financial Times quoted an Allied source as saying that Peter Lehmann Wines had some "great brands". It added: "We would like to do a distribution deal with them. We would like to take their wines into the UK and the US."
According to the report, Allied Domecq first approached Peter Lehmann Wines last year about a distribution agreement.
It quoted Doug Lehmann, managing director saying: "We will be seeking a meeting with them in the near future to discuss what they think they can bring to Peter Lehmann."
Following the purchase of the additional shares in PLW by Allied, the Australian company said it had so far heard nothing from Allied about its intentions.
Companies: Allied Domecq
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Cautious optimism is probably the best way to describe today's press reaction to Pernod's friendly bid for Allied Domecq....
Spirits firm Allied Domecq has agreed to a takeover bid from smaller rival Pernod Ricard, subject to agreement from Allied shareholders....
Allied Domecq last night accepted Pernod Ricard's offer to buy the UK-based drinks giant....
Allied Domecq today delivered a 7% increase in first half group profits before tax to £285m. Earnings per share were up 7% to 19.2p, turnover that was flat at £1,700m....
Drinks producer and distributor Todhunter International has said that its controlling shareholder, CL Financial, is interested in acquiring some of the brands of Allied Domecq that may become availabl...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts