USA: Allied Domecq Preliminary Announcement of the Results for the Year to 31 August 2000
"We have delivered double digit earnings growth during a period of dramatic change. This strong performance has been achieved through the effective implementation of our business strategy. We have focused on profitable volume through the management of product mix, pricing and enhanced marketing investment, up 9%, principally behind key brands.
Our Spirits and Wine business continues to perform well, driven particularly by the strength of Ballantine's, Kahlúa and Beefeater. Our Quick Service Restaurants business has produced excellent results with a 14% growth in trading profit, in part from the turnaround of our international business from loss to profit. The initiatives to revitalise the Baskin-Robbins brand are generating results in line with our expectations.
We have significantly re-focused the business through the disposal of the UK Retail assets, John Bull Pubs and Panrico. We have strengthened our capabilities in Asia Pacific through our investment in Jinro Ballantines.
Over the past year, we have set out to be a dynamic marketing-led brands business and we have accelerated the pace of change across all aspects of the business to achieve this. We have a great portfolio of brands and will continue to generate value for our shareholders through enhancing the returns from our existing assets and by strengthening our brand portfolio and distribution capabilities through acquisition and joint venture.
The directors are recommending a final dividend of 7.0 pence per share giving a total for the year of 11.0 pence per share."
2000 1999 %growth
Profit before tax (including Panrico) £413m £362m 14
Trading profit £487m £430m 13
Profit before tax £404m £349m 16
Normalised earnings per share 27.4p 24.2p 13
Marketing investment behind Spirits & Wine £301m £275m 9
Return on investment 9.3% 8.3%
Unless otherwise stated, profits and earnings exclude those of discontinued operations.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Cautious optimism is probably the best way to describe today's press reaction to Pernod's friendly bid for Allied Domecq....
Spirits firm Allied Domecq has agreed to a takeover bid from smaller rival Pernod Ricard, subject to agreement from Allied shareholders....
Allied Domecq last night accepted Pernod Ricard's offer to buy the UK-based drinks giant....
Allied Domecq today delivered a 7% increase in first half group profits before tax to £285m. Earnings per share were up 7% to 19.2p, turnover that was flat at £1,700m....
Drinks producer and distributor Todhunter International has said that its controlling shareholder, CL Financial, is interested in acquiring some of the brands of Allied Domecq that may become availabl...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages