UK: Allied, Diageo legal battle for Captain Morgan could take 18 months
The news story claimed that the two companies believe the final outcome may not be known until the middle of next year if the case proceeds to a full court hearing.
A judge in San Juan has recently heard the cases of Allied and Diageo about why each company should be granted the rights to the Captain Morgan assets. However, no ruling on whether the case will be taken forward has been announced.
Captain Morgan was part of the portfolio of wines and spirits that Diageo bought with Pernod Ricard in December. When the brands were split up between the two bidders after the sale the Captain Morgan brand passed into Diageo's control.
However, weeks before the sale was complete, Allied Domecq claimed it had acquired the Captain Morgan brand independently of the Seagram sell-off. It said that it had struck a deal with the producer of the brand, the Puerto Rican Destilleria Serralles, which claimed to have the rights of first refusal to Captain Morgan in the event of any sale.
For the time being Diageo will assume control of the brand.
A protracted legal dispute is likely to suit Allied more than Diageo which stands to receive $1.2bn in compensation from Seagram if it loses Captain Morgan. And, industry contacts believe Allied would appeal any case that goes against it.
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends