INDIA: Allied Blenders & Distillers to fund expansion through private equity
Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) is looking to raise around US$100m through a private equity tie-up.
The company, which owns India’s top selling whisky, Officer’s Choice, is looking to expand in the country, with details of the fund raising set to be confirmed in the coming weeks. ABD’s executive vice-chairman & CEO, Deepak Roy, was quoted in Business Standard last week as saying that the company’s plans are finally in the closing stages.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for ABD said: “An announcement is likely soon and the details of the fund-raising are being worked out with a financial firm.”
A legal dispute over the rights to Officer’s Choice between ABD and United Spirits was settled in October last year, paving the way for ABD’s expansion plans. At the time, Roy said: "“If we can raise INR2bn (US$36.8m) to INR2.5bn through private equity, or from strategic investors, we can mobilise the rest by way of debt and internal accruals."
Owner Kishore Chhabria hold a 95% stake in ABD, with Roy holding the remaining 5%.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review