INDIA: Allied Blenders & Distillers to fund expansion through private equity
Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) is looking to raise around US$100m through a private equity tie-up.
The company, which owns India’s top selling whisky, Officer’s Choice, is looking to expand in the country, with details of the fund raising set to be confirmed in the coming weeks. ABD’s executive vice-chairman & CEO, Deepak Roy, was quoted in Business Standard last week as saying that the company’s plans are finally in the closing stages.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for ABD said: “An announcement is likely soon and the details of the fund-raising are being worked out with a financial firm.”
A legal dispute over the rights to Officer’s Choice between ABD and United Spirits was settled in October last year, paving the way for ABD’s expansion plans. At the time, Roy said: "“If we can raise INR2bn (US$36.8m) to INR2.5bn through private equity, or from strategic investors, we can mobilise the rest by way of debt and internal accruals."
Owner Kishore Chhabria hold a 95% stake in ABD, with Roy holding the remaining 5%.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report