INDIA: Allied Blenders & Distillers to fund expansion through private equity

By | 11 March 2013

Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) is looking to raise around US$100m through a private equity tie-up.

The company, which owns India’s top selling whisky, Officer’s Choice, is looking to expand in the country, with details of the fund raising set to be confirmed in the coming weeks. ABD’s executive vice-chairman & CEO, Deepak Roy, was quoted in Business Standard last week as saying that the company’s plans are finally in the closing stages.

When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for ABD said: “An announcement is likely soon and the details of the fund-raising are being worked out with a financial firm.”

A legal dispute over the rights to Officer’s Choice between ABD and United Spirits was settled in October last year, paving the way for ABD’s expansion plans. At the time, Roy said: "“If we can raise INR2bn (US$36.8m) to INR2.5bn through private equity, or from strategic investors, we can mobilise the rest by way of debt and internal accruals."

Owner Kishore Chhabria hold a 95% stake in ABD, with Roy holding the remaining 5%.

Expert analysis

The Future of the Spirits Market in India, to 2016

Future of the Spirits Market in India, to 2016 is the result of Canadean’s extensive market research covering the Spirits market in India.

Sectors: Spirits

Companies: United Spirits

View next/previous articles

Currently reading -

INDIA: Allied Blenders & Distillers to fund expansion through private equity

There are currently no comments on this article

Be the first to comment on this article

Related research

United Spirits Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report

United Spirits Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and corporate actions, providing a 360° v...

Alcoholic Drinks in India

Alcoholic Drinks in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading...

Diageo Plc in Spirits (World)

Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems likely it gains control of UB Group’s United Spirits...

Related articles

INDIA: Empee Distilleries, United Spirits agree IMFL production tie-up

Empee Distilleries has secured a three-year contract with United Spirits to produce Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) for the Diageo-controlled company in the state of Karnataka.

just the Round-Up - The week in drinks

The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:

INDIA: Diageo gets regulatory nod for Pioneer Distilleries move

Diageo has confirmed that its bid to take full control of United Spirits subsidiary Pioneer Distilleries has been cleared by India's financial regulator.

just-drinks tagline

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page