INDIA: Allied Blenders & Distillers, Tilaknagar Industries in merger talks - report
The two Indian firms are said to be in talks over a merger
India's Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) is in talks with its rival, Tilaknagar Industries, over a possible merger, according to local reports.
ABD, owner of India’s top-selling whisky brand, Officer’s Choice, has discussed creating a combined US$1bn entity with Tilaknagar, unnamed sources have told The Times of India this week. Last month ABD said it was looking to raise $100m through a private equity tie-up.
The company is 95%-controlled by Kishore Chhabria, with the rest owned by the company’s executive vice-chairman & CEO, Deepak Roy.
Publicly-listed Tilaknagar is 56%-owned by The Dahanukar family. Its Mansion House brand is the world's second-largest selling brand behind McDowell's.
The talks are preliminary and there is no certainty of a deal, the source was reported as saying.
Both companies have yet to respond to an emailed request for comment from just-drinks.
Separately, Diageo this week kicked-off a public share offer for 26% of United Spirits, as it seeks to gain majority-control of the Vijay Mallya-headed firm.
Two entities expressed "serious interest" in buying collapsed wholesaler Waverley TBS after it called in administrators last year, it has emerged. ...
Diageo's renewed focus on its Don Julio Tequila brand in the US is producing solid growth in the on-trade, with opportunities to expand further, according to latest figures....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future