INDIA: Allied Blenders & Distillers restarts chase for Tilaknagar Industries
Allied Blenders & Distillers and Tilaknagar Industries have reopened talks over a potential merger, just-drinks has learnt.
Last year, reports out of India claimed the two spirits companies had begun discussions on combining their operations into a US$1bn entity. The negotiations were not confirmed by either side at the time.
However, speaking exclusively to just-drinks late last week, Allied Blenders & Distillers' executive vice-chairman & CEO, Deepak Roy, expressed his company's interest in Tilaknagar, specifically in a majority buyout of the firm. The two sides have not yet agreed on a price, Roy said.
When contacted yesterday, Tilaknagar's chairman & MD, Amit Dahanukar, would not be drawn on the claim. “I can’t name names right now but we are in discussions with many companies towards finding the most suitable partner,” he said.
Allied Blenders is a major player in the Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) category, recording sales of 25m cases within its most recent fiscal year. It owns the Officers Choice range of whiskies. Tilaknagar leads the locally-manufactured brandy market with the Mansion House brand.
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends