UK: Allied and Diageo bids alone in Seagram race - paper
Allied Domecq and the joint Anglo/Franco team of Diageo and Pernod Ricard were alone in the first round of bids for Canadian drinks giant Seagram, according to the on-line arm of UK paper The Independent.The report said that expected bids from Bacardi and Brown-Forman failed to materialise before the closing date for the first round of offers on Friday. At one point both companies were also linked to a joint bid with Allied. But Philip Bowman, Allied's CEO is thought to be confident he can fund an offer, perhaps without even going to the market with a rights issue.The paper said that the joint Diageo/Pernod Ricard bid has a complex structure which reflects the greater financial muscle of the British company as well as the anti-trust problems it would have in buying Seagram's drinks.Diageo, it is thought, will own 60% of the Seagram business but most of the major brands will go to Pernod.Allied, meanwhile, was reported to have received a boost by Vin & Sprit (V&S), the Swedish makers of Absolut vodka. V&S are apparently supporting its bid for Seagram, who currently have the international distribution rights to Absolut.The Independent went on to say that Allied may even acquire the rights to Absolut should it lose the fight for Seagram's drinks.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report