COMMENT: Ale targets niches in beer war
UK Brewer Shepherd Neame has announced strong sales of Spitfire ale. The news reflects the fact that it can be easier to grow in niche markets rather than more mature mass markets. Real ale can no longer hope to compete equally basis with lager; instead, ale brewers are targeting small but loyal consumer bases. Spitfire now plans to release television adverts, but even this will not help real ale compete with lager.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman