UK: Aldi bids to attract premium wine drinkers
Aldi has joined Lidl in the "super premium" wine sector
Discount supermarket chain Aldi is to launch its own “super premium” wine range in the UK weeks after rival Lidl unveiled its own upmarket line.
The Aldi range will include bottles of Grand Cru Champagne and Grand Cru Classe 2004 Margaux for GBP22.99 (US$36.58), the company said yesterday (19 November). The move aims to target the increasing numbers of affluent customers that pass through Aldi's doors, it said.
In September, Lidl invested GBP1m in revamping the wine section of its 600 UK stores to attract “affluent but spend-savvy customers”, the company said. Its premium range included Châteauneuf du Pape (GBP12.49), Médoc (GBP6.99) and a Sancerre (GBP9.99).
According to Nielsen figures quoted by Aldi, in the 12 months from April last year, there was an 18% increase in shoppers from the wealthiest social classes to its stores. Sales of wines over GBP4.99 have risen by 87% and total spirits by 38% in the same period, the company said.
“It is no secret that our shopper demographic is changing,” said MD of buying at Aldi, Tony Baines.
“In Britain we have experienced a fundamental shift in our perception of value in the past five years, and with that shift we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of more affluent shoppers who are choosing Aldi.”
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Remy Cointreau sees H1 sales, profits rise
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts