UK: Aldi bids to attract premium wine drinkers
Aldi has joined Lidl in the "super premium" wine sector
Discount supermarket chain Aldi is to launch its own “super premium” wine range in the UK weeks after rival Lidl unveiled its own upmarket line.
The Aldi range will include bottles of Grand Cru Champagne and Grand Cru Classe 2004 Margaux for GBP22.99 (US$36.58), the company said yesterday (19 November). The move aims to target the increasing numbers of affluent customers that pass through Aldi's doors, it said.
In September, Lidl invested GBP1m in revamping the wine section of its 600 UK stores to attract “affluent but spend-savvy customers”, the company said. Its premium range included Châteauneuf du Pape (GBP12.49), Médoc (GBP6.99) and a Sancerre (GBP9.99).
According to Nielsen figures quoted by Aldi, in the 12 months from April last year, there was an 18% increase in shoppers from the wealthiest social classes to its stores. Sales of wines over GBP4.99 have risen by 87% and total spirits by 38% in the same period, the company said.
“It is no secret that our shopper demographic is changing,” said MD of buying at Aldi, Tony Baines.
“In Britain we have experienced a fundamental shift in our perception of value in the past five years, and with that shift we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of more affluent shoppers who are choosing Aldi.”
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report