UK: Aldi bids to attract premium wine drinkers
Aldi has joined Lidl in the "super premium" wine sector
Discount supermarket chain Aldi is to launch its own “super premium” wine range in the UK weeks after rival Lidl unveiled its own upmarket line.
The Aldi range will include bottles of Grand Cru Champagne and Grand Cru Classe 2004 Margaux for GBP22.99 (US$36.58), the company said yesterday (19 November). The move aims to target the increasing numbers of affluent customers that pass through Aldi's doors, it said.
In September, Lidl invested GBP1m in revamping the wine section of its 600 UK stores to attract “affluent but spend-savvy customers”, the company said. Its premium range included Châteauneuf du Pape (GBP12.49), Médoc (GBP6.99) and a Sancerre (GBP9.99).
According to Nielsen figures quoted by Aldi, in the 12 months from April last year, there was an 18% increase in shoppers from the wealthiest social classes to its stores. Sales of wines over GBP4.99 have risen by 87% and total spirits by 38% in the same period, the company said.
“It is no secret that our shopper demographic is changing,” said MD of buying at Aldi, Tony Baines.
“In Britain we have experienced a fundamental shift in our perception of value in the past five years, and with that shift we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of more affluent shoppers who are choosing Aldi.”
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research