GERMANY: Alcopop sales in dramatic fall
The introduction of a special surcharge on alcopops in August 2004 has resulted in a dramatic decline in their sales, according to a report in the German weekly magazine, Der Spiegel.
A survey carried out by the market research group Information Resources revealed that sales of these spirits-based ready-to-drink (RTD) brands in the grocery channel in January and February were down by 65% in comparison with the same period in 2004.
Data from ACNielsen supports this survey, showing a 60% decline in the period July to December 2004, against the same period in 2003.
However, ACNielsen also reports that while sales of the spirits-based RTDs fell, sales of beer-based RTDs have risen.
In this month's Just the Answer interview, Jose Ramon Ortiz Monasterio, managing director and chairman of Eurocermex, the Grupo Modelo subsidiary which acts as exclusive distributor for Corona Extra i...
Krones has won the tender to supply bottling equipment to Ochakovo....
Starbucks Coffee Company has launched a ready-to-drink (RTD) coffee beverage in Japan and Taiwan, the first time it has marketed an RTD outside North America....
Diageo Great Britain is launching a new RTD, into the on-trade this autumn....
The level of RTD (ready-to-drink) consumption in Germany has almost halved since the introduction of a special tax on the beverages....
Diageo said today that its volume growth and mix improvement had slowed in the second half of the year as a result of tougher trading in Europe and a slow down in the ready to drink segment in the US....
A three-year, ZAR150m (US$22m) expansion and refurbishment project has culminated in Durban-based NCP Alcohols becoming the biggest distillery in Africa....
Diageo has announced plans to target the over 40s in Germany, according to local reports....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research