UK: Alcoholics plan test case
The group is being represented by Glasgow solicitors, Ross Harper, which will be using the same arguments used in successful class actions brought against US tobacco firms.
"Any litigation would have to be based on whether or not the product causes harm and whether or not the producer has a duty of care to customers," said Jim Price of Ross Harper.
The group's legal team is expecting to be ready to bring the case to court next month but is first attempting to gain legal aid for its clients. It would then present a test case before the Court of Session in Edinburgh.
The case may well bring new exposure to the debate regarding health warnings on alcohol which have been compulsory in the US for the past 10 years. The British Medical Association has repeatedly called for them to be made mandatory in the UK.
However, a spokesperson for The Portman Group, which speaks for the drinks industry on matters of alcohol policy, said: "Health warnings would have to contain too much information to be fair and accurate."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future