UK: Alcohol sales in Scotland drop 4% in 2011
Alcohol sales in Scotland fell by 4% between 2010 and 2011, latest figures show.
An NHS Health Scotland report analysing retail sales found that per adult sales of pure alcohol dropped from 11.7 litres in 2010 to 11.2 litres in 2011. All drinks categories suffered a fall, apart from cider, the report found.
Scottish on-trade sales between 1994 and 2011 fell 30% from five litres to 3.5 litres per person. However off-trade sales soared by 48% over the same period to 7.7 litres per person last year.
In England and Wales, overall sales stood at 9.3 litres per adult in 2011.
Scotland's Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: “I welcome the drop in sales of alcohol in 2011, however sales are still at an unacceptably high level and are still around a fifth higher than in England and Wales."
Next year, Scotland plans to introduce a minimum price of GBP0.50 (US$0.79) per unit. Sturgeon added: "Sales in the off-trade have increased significantly since the mid 1990s, driven by very cheap alcohol prices, particularly in supermarkets. A minimum price per unit of alcohol will almost exclusively impact on the off-trade and will raise the price of this cheaper alcohol."
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018