US: Alcohol sales climb 4.9% as on-trade future looks bright - study
On-trade sales have increased by 4.9%
On-trade alcohol sales are set fair for growth after increasing by 4.9% last year, a new study claims.
Sales of spirits, wine and beer in licensed on-premise locations hit US$93.7bn in 2011, according to Technomic's 2012 BarTAB report, released today (29 November). Volumes fell by 1.1% but are expected to grow next year, the report said.
“The on-premise dollar growth is driven by a combination of price increases and consumers once again calling for premium and above-premium brands at the bar," said Donna Hood Crecca, senior director with Technomic's Adult Beverage Resource Group.
“This is good news for operators and for adult beverage brand marketers, as bars and restaurants are where new brands are built and existing brands can continue to engage consumers."
On-trade accounts for one-quarter of adult beverage volumes and about half of total sales, Technomic said. The report also found that beer accounts for about 80% of total volumes and half of sales.
Technomic VP David Henkes said: "Looking at 2012 and beyond, we see continued growth, although the evolving economic situation will ultimately influence 2013 performance across the on-premise segments and the beverage categories.”
A Technomic report in September said overall US beer volumes declined by 1.3% last year as consumers moved away from mainstream light beers.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets