US: Alcohol sales climb 4.9% as on-trade future looks bright - study
On-trade sales have increased by 4.9%
On-trade alcohol sales are set fair for growth after increasing by 4.9% last year, a new study claims.
Sales of spirits, wine and beer in licensed on-premise locations hit US$93.7bn in 2011, according to Technomic's 2012 BarTAB report, released today (29 November). Volumes fell by 1.1% but are expected to grow next year, the report said.
“The on-premise dollar growth is driven by a combination of price increases and consumers once again calling for premium and above-premium brands at the bar," said Donna Hood Crecca, senior director with Technomic's Adult Beverage Resource Group.
“This is good news for operators and for adult beverage brand marketers, as bars and restaurants are where new brands are built and existing brands can continue to engage consumers."
On-trade accounts for one-quarter of adult beverage volumes and about half of total sales, Technomic said. The report also found that beer accounts for about 80% of total volumes and half of sales.
Technomic VP David Henkes said: "Looking at 2012 and beyond, we see continued growth, although the evolving economic situation will ultimately influence 2013 performance across the on-premise segments and the beverage categories.”
A Technomic report in September said overall US beer volumes declined by 1.3% last year as consumers moved away from mainstream light beers.
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research