US: Alcohol sales climb 4.9% as on-trade future looks bright - study
On-trade sales have increased by 4.9%
On-trade alcohol sales are set fair for growth after increasing by 4.9% last year, a new study claims.
Sales of spirits, wine and beer in licensed on-premise locations hit US$93.7bn in 2011, according to Technomic's 2012 BarTAB report, released today (29 November). Volumes fell by 1.1% but are expected to grow next year, the report said.
“The on-premise dollar growth is driven by a combination of price increases and consumers once again calling for premium and above-premium brands at the bar," said Donna Hood Crecca, senior director with Technomic's Adult Beverage Resource Group.
“This is good news for operators and for adult beverage brand marketers, as bars and restaurants are where new brands are built and existing brands can continue to engage consumers."
On-trade accounts for one-quarter of adult beverage volumes and about half of total sales, Technomic said. The report also found that beer accounts for about 80% of total volumes and half of sales.
Technomic VP David Henkes said: "Looking at 2012 and beyond, we see continued growth, although the evolving economic situation will ultimately influence 2013 performance across the on-premise segments and the beverage categories.”
A Technomic report in September said overall US beer volumes declined by 1.3% last year as consumers moved away from mainstream light beers.
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends