NZ: Alcohol levy bill passes first hurdle – report
A bill proposing that a tax on alcoholic drinks should be scaled to match their alcohol content has passed its first stage in New Zealand, according to local reports.
The New Zealand Press Association said today (4 March) that the bill proposes that a levy used to fund education about alcohol abuse be scaled. Under the system, alcoholic beverages with a higher volume of alcohol should contribute a higher proportion of the levy, the report said.
An explanatory note with the bill argued that the current levy was "outdated, complex and did not cover new-types of beverage," and that while the Government considered dropping the levy, ministers decided they liked the higher levy for stronger alcoholic drinks.
MPs have agreed to send the bill to a select committee to be examined.
With sales falling at home and abroad, the implementation of EU wine reforms imminent and the prospect of even tighter regulation on wine marketing in France, it is not hard to see why emotions among ...
Vodka is soon to take over from Scotch whisky as the most consumed spirit in the UK. But Chris Losh sees its success as a triumph of marketing over substance, and wonders whether consumer interest can...
The 61st World Health Assembly published its resolution on "Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol" last month. Ben Cooper examines the resolution and the response from public health agencies...
Scotch Whisky companies are meeting the highest standards of responsible brand marketing and promotion according to a recent audit....
Halewood International is to alter the packaging of its vodka-based Red Square Reloaded in the UK, to make it clear the drink contains alcohol....
US authorities have suspended import licences for Montepulciano wines from Italy, pending a fraud investigation by the Italian governemnt....
A leading Spanish winemaker has launched what it claims is the country's lowest alcohol wine....
Southern Wine & Spirits of America, the leading US wine and spirits distributor, has agreed to form a new national distribution venture with one of the country's largest wholesalers, Glazer's Distribu...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research