US: Alcohol labelling bill approved by State Senate Committee
A key alcohol labelling bill has won the bipartisan approval of the California State Senate Governmental Organization Committee.
The bill, AB 346 by California Assembly members James Beall and Lori Saldana, would require that all beers or other malt beverages clearly state that they contain alcohol and reveal the alcohol content on the label if there is any chance the container could be confused with a non-alcoholic product.
The bill, which has had the support of Diageo, the world's largest wine and spirits producer, now goes to the Senate Appropriations Committee.
"Diageo markets all of its alcohol products as alcohol products and has no interest in defending marketing practices that obscure the presence of alcohol," said Amy Elliott, senior director state government affairs, Diageo North America. "Diageo is proud to support this important and well intentioned legislation that will assist in making clear that beer products contain alcohol."
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has unveiled plans to update the image of its Smirnoff Black vodka brand across the UK next month....
Diageo's CEO has been appointed chairman of The Scotch Whisky Association....
A marked rise in tax on beer in Russia could slow sales for brewers in the country this year, a trade body has warned....
Diageo has introduced three additions to its progressive adult beverages category in the US....
Finnish state-owned alcohol company Altia Corporation is not big enough to buy Swedish drinks giant Vin & Sprit but could be interested if the company is broken up into parts, according to chief execu...
Molson Coors Brewing Co. has updated its website to include information including its company history and structure as well as its corporate responsibilities....
Beam Global UK has hired a former Diageo manager as its new sales director....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research