US: Alcohol labelling bill approved by State Senate Committee
A key alcohol labelling bill has won the bipartisan approval of the California State Senate Governmental Organization Committee.
The bill, AB 346 by California Assembly members James Beall and Lori Saldana, would require that all beers or other malt beverages clearly state that they contain alcohol and reveal the alcohol content on the label if there is any chance the container could be confused with a non-alcoholic product.
The bill, which has had the support of Diageo, the world's largest wine and spirits producer, now goes to the Senate Appropriations Committee.
"Diageo markets all of its alcohol products as alcohol products and has no interest in defending marketing practices that obscure the presence of alcohol," said Amy Elliott, senior director state government affairs, Diageo North America. "Diageo is proud to support this important and well intentioned legislation that will assist in making clear that beer products contain alcohol."
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has unveiled plans to update the image of its Smirnoff Black vodka brand across the UK next month....
Diageo's CEO has been appointed chairman of The Scotch Whisky Association....
A marked rise in tax on beer in Russia could slow sales for brewers in the country this year, a trade body has warned....
Diageo has introduced three additions to its progressive adult beverages category in the US....
Finnish state-owned alcohol company Altia Corporation is not big enough to buy Swedish drinks giant Vin & Sprit but could be interested if the company is broken up into parts, according to chief execu...
Molson Coors Brewing Co. has updated its website to include information including its company history and structure as well as its corporate responsibilities....
Beam Global UK has hired a former Diageo manager as its new sales director....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research