S AFRICA: Alcohol hit hard by budget
Alcoholic beverages have had their excise duty upped in South Africa's budget yesterday (15 February).
Minister of Finance, Trevor Manual, yesterday increased excise duty on sparkling wine by 20%, unfortified wine by 12.5%, malt beer and alcoholic fruit beverages by 9% and spirits by 9.5%.
Manual said this should garner an additional ZAR725m (US$118.9m) for the state's coffers.
This means that the excise on spirits effectively increases from ZAR16.26 for 750ml to ZAR17.80, while sparkling wine goes up from ZAR3.88 a litre to ZAR4.65, unfortified wine from ZAR1.40 to ZAR1.58 a litre and fortified wine from ZAR2.63 to ZAR2.87 a litre. A 340ml can or bottle of malt beer or AFB will go up from 57c to 62c a can.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research