BULGARIA: Alcohol excise duty revamped
Duty on beer in the country will rise by 45% to 1.5 levs (US$0.89) per hectolitre from early 2005. The current duty on beer is 1.05 levs. High-alcohol content spirits also see their duty rise, from 0.05 levs per alcohol degree to 0.075 levs.
Bulgaria has negotiated concessions with the European Union regarding home-made brandy. Once the country joins the EU, Bulgarians will be permitted to produce up to 30 litres of home-made brandy a year, and should pay only 50% of EU minimum levels of excise duty on spirits worth €550. Therefore, producers of the full 30-litre allowance will be levied €275 duty.
As of 2004, traders will not be allowed to sell spirits in plastic bottles, but six month's grace has been granted to enable them to sell existing quantities.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research