HONG KONG: Alcohol duty abolition on the horizon
The Hong Kong government has proposed the abolition of duties for all alcoholic drinks, with the exception of spirits.
The move, which is set to have immediate effect, was announced by Financial Secretary John Tsang today (27 February), and would cost Hong Kong's government in the region of HK$560m (US$71.9m) per year.
Existing duty on alcohol - with the exception of spirits - along with related administrative controls were proving to be "major obstacles" to the development of trading and distribution businesses in the special administrative region of China.
Hong Kong's government is also looking to remove the related administrative controls after amending relevant laws, so as to facilitate increased import, export and storage of alcoholic beverages in Hong Kong.
With sales falling at home and abroad, the implementation of EU wine reforms imminent and the prospect of even tighter regulation on wine marketing in France, it is not hard to see why emotions among ...
The 61st World Health Assembly published its resolution on "Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol" last month. Ben Cooper examines the resolution and the response from public health agencies...
Halewood International is to alter the packaging of its vodka-based Red Square Reloaded in the UK, to make it clear the drink contains alcohol....
US authorities have suspended import licences for Montepulciano wines from Italy, pending a fraud investigation by the Italian governemnt....
A leading Spanish winemaker has launched what it claims is the country's lowest alcohol wine....
Southern Wine & Spirits of America, the leading US wine and spirits distributor, has agreed to form a new national distribution venture with one of the country's largest wholesalers, Glazer's Distribu...
The Wirtz Beverage Group has appointed a leadership team for its national portfolio of wine, spirit and beer distributorships....
Central European Distribution Corporation has posted a healthy lift in both sales and profits for the first half of this year....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends