SWEDEN: Alcohol advertising up 300%
The drinks industry spent some 28.2m Swedish crowns (US$3.5m) on alcohol advertising in Sweden in the first half of 2003, according to figures in the Swedish press today from the polling institute Sifo. The figure amounts to a 300% year-on-year increase.
The period in question saw a lifting by the Swedish parliament on the ban on alcohol advertising in newspapers. However, in April, a ban was re-imposed on alcoholic drinks over 15% abv.
Meanwhile, at the same time the country's alcohol sales at the retail monopoly Systembolaget rose by 4.7%. While wine sales rose 6.3% compared to the same period last year, sales of alcohol stronger than 15% fell by 1.7%.
Despite the advertising in newspapers, the amount of money spent on alcohol advertising in Sweden still corresponds to only 1.5% of the total sum spent on advertising of food products, the report said.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future