UK: Alcohol ad complaints fall, but soft drinks attract controversy
The number of complaints about adverts for alcohol in the UK fell by 16% last year, but three soft drinks firms featured in the ten most-complained-about campaigns.
In a joint annual report, published yesterday (29 May), the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and Committees of Advertising Practice (CAP) said that complaints about alcohol ads totalled 378 in 2013, compared to 448 in the prior year. The number of cases investigated also fell, by 20% to 193.
However, complaints about food and soft drinks rose by 58% to 3,998. This was primarily due to six ads that attracted a high number of complaints, the report said.
The fifth most-complained about ad was AG Barr's Irn Bru TV spot, featuring a mother and son, which received 223 complaints. A Red Bull TV campaign, featuring the Titanic, was seventh with 179 complaints, while energy drink Pussy Drinks' poster campaign was ninth with 159 complaints.
Barr's and Red Bull's ads escaped sanction, but the complaints about Pussy Drinks were partly upheld. One of the posters featured the word 'Pussy' in large bold text, which was deemed “likely to cause serious offence”.
Synopsis Canadean's "Red Bull GmbH: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company...
Red Bull Deutschland has a strong marketing strategy, similar to that of its parent company. Sponsorship of sports events and using all possible channels (except for print) to capture the maximum youn...
Red Bull is the absolute leader in energy drinks, whose main strategy is to invest in advertising campaigns under the slogan “Dê asas a sua imaginação” (Unleash your imagination). In order to keep com...
According to the global company website, Red Bull is focusing on the core markets of Western Europe and the US, as well as the growth markets of Brazil, Japan, India and China. The company is also con...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report