POLAND: Agros defends position as non-bidder in vodka privatisation
Agros, the Polish food and beverage group controlled by Pernod Ricard, is staying out of the sale of Polish distillery Polmos Poznan because it needs to focus on restructuring and food branch development, its board has said.Agros Holding vice president Olivier Guelaud said: "It is not the best moment to initiate a buying process; all the more so because as Agros operates in a distribution sense…if we were to take part in the privatisation process, we would have to pay attention to the domestic market."Pernod Ricard, however, is taking part in the sale and is already on a shorlist of three for the distiller that produces Wyborowa. And, Gueland's comments come in response to claims from Agros minority shareholder Highwood Partners that Agros is being unfairly prevented from bidding. Highwood has demanded that the Treasury delay the privatisation process, saying, "Agros already holds the rights to Polish vodka brands abroad, which places the company in an exceptional position among tender participants and represents a historic opportunity to unite the domestic and international rights to Poland's premier vodkas."Meanwhile, details of Pernod Ricard's plans for Poznan have been reported in the Polish press. The French company is apparently aiming to increase its Polish vodka exports from the current 500,000 nine-litre cases annually to 1m and eventually 2m cases a year.This strategy is part of Pernod's offer for the second phase of Polmos Poznan's privatisation tender.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev in China - just the Facts
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review