US: Agreement "in principle" reached as Anheuser-Busch Inbev closes in on Grupo Modelo
The end is in sight for Anheuser-Busch InBev's proposed takeover of Grupo Modelo
The two US-based firms said late last night (5 April) that their talks with the country's Department of Justice (DoJ) have produced an “agreement in principle” over Anheuser-Busch InBev's (ABI) plans to acquire full control of Modelo. The DoJ had filed an anti-trust lawsuit against ABI's intentions in January, with Constellation, which hopes to buy out Modelo's share in their Crown Imports US sales and distribution JV, applying to be included in the case a week later.
Concessions were made in mid-February, with Constellation planning to take the perpetual rights to Modelo's brands in the US and acquire the Mexican brewer's Compañía Cervecera de Coahuila brewery, in Piedras Negras, Mexico.
“The proposed resolution is substantially in line with the revised transaction announced on 14 February,” said ABI yesterday. “This stay will allow the parties to finalise the … papers required for settlement.”
All five expect this to be the final postponement request.
Should agreement on the transaction be reached, however, ABI will still have to deal with a separate lawsuit filed last month by nine individuals seeking to block the deal.
InBev Italia’s strategy for the forecast period will be to continue its occasion-based marketing, and to promote its products. The company will concentrate its efforts on meeting consumers’ expectatio...
Inbev will continue to focus on premiumisation, adding value and Increasing its channel coverage over the forecast period. The company will continue to invest heavily in marketing support and new prod...
Tom Vierhile considers the rise of cider - specifically, hard cider - in many markets around the world....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research