US: Agreement "in principle" reached as Anheuser-Busch Inbev closes in on Grupo Modelo
The end is in sight for Anheuser-Busch InBev's proposed takeover of Grupo Modelo
The two US-based firms said late last night (5 April) that their talks with the country's Department of Justice (DoJ) have produced an “agreement in principle” over Anheuser-Busch InBev's (ABI) plans to acquire full control of Modelo. The DoJ had filed an anti-trust lawsuit against ABI's intentions in January, with Constellation, which hopes to buy out Modelo's share in their Crown Imports US sales and distribution JV, applying to be included in the case a week later.
Concessions were made in mid-February, with Constellation planning to take the perpetual rights to Modelo's brands in the US and acquire the Mexican brewer's Compañía Cervecera de Coahuila brewery, in Piedras Negras, Mexico.
“The proposed resolution is substantially in line with the revised transaction announced on 14 February,” said ABI yesterday. “This stay will allow the parties to finalise the … papers required for settlement.”
All five expect this to be the final postponement request.
Should agreement on the transaction be reached, however, ABI will still have to deal with a separate lawsuit filed last month by nine individuals seeking to block the deal.
USA Beer Market Background Briefing
Canadean’s, USA Beer Market Background Briefingprovides detailed analysis on the beer market background in USA . The qualitative data in the report analyses the dynamics in USA , providing marketers w...read more
InBev Italia’s strategy for the forecast period will be to continue its occasion-based marketing, and to promote its products. The company will concentrate its efforts on meeting consumers’ expectatio...
Inbev will continue to focus on premiumisation, adding value and Increasing its channel coverage over the forecast period. The company will continue to invest heavily in marketing support and new prod...
Tom Vierhile considers the rise of cider - specifically, hard cider - in many markets around the world....
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018