US: Agreement "in principle" reached as Anheuser-Busch Inbev closes in on Grupo Modelo
The end is in sight for Anheuser-Busch InBev's proposed takeover of Grupo Modelo
The two US-based firms said late last night (5 April) that their talks with the country's Department of Justice (DoJ) have produced an “agreement in principle” over Anheuser-Busch InBev's (ABI) plans to acquire full control of Modelo. The DoJ had filed an anti-trust lawsuit against ABI's intentions in January, with Constellation, which hopes to buy out Modelo's share in their Crown Imports US sales and distribution JV, applying to be included in the case a week later.
Concessions were made in mid-February, with Constellation planning to take the perpetual rights to Modelo's brands in the US and acquire the Mexican brewer's Compañía Cervecera de Coahuila brewery, in Piedras Negras, Mexico.
“The proposed resolution is substantially in line with the revised transaction announced on 14 February,” said ABI yesterday. “This stay will allow the parties to finalise the … papers required for settlement.”
All five expect this to be the final postponement request.
Should agreement on the transaction be reached, however, ABI will still have to deal with a separate lawsuit filed last month by nine individuals seeking to block the deal.
USA Beer Market Background Briefing
Canadean’s, USA Beer Market Background Briefingprovides detailed analysis on the beer market background in USA . The qualitative data in the report analyses the dynamics in USA , providing marketers w...read more
InBev Italia’s strategy for the forecast period will be to continue its occasion-based marketing, and to promote its products. The company will concentrate its efforts on meeting consumers’ expectatio...
Inbev will continue to focus on premiumisation, adding value and Increasing its channel coverage over the forecast period. The company will continue to invest heavily in marketing support and new prod...
Tom Vierhile considers the rise of cider - specifically, hard cider - in many markets around the world....
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research