KOREA: Aggressive competition could bankrupt Korea's small bottled water companies, say industry sources
Aggressive marketing by beverage giants such as Coca-Cola Korea and Lotte Chilsung, and the introduction of the bottle cap tax payment system could soon see smaller companies on the verge of bankruptcy, say industry sources.The introduction of the bottle cap tax payment system, a government seal on a cork showing that the company has paid the necessary tax for improving water quality is also making things difficult for some companies, but hopefully means no more unauthorised water brands being available on the market.Aggressive advertising and sampling events by the major bottled water companies has impacted on the smaller players which once dominated the market. Coca-Cola Korea has begun pushing its Soonsoo 100 brand, and Lotte Chilsung plans to raise its market share through its distribution network of some 2,000 agencies. The company also intends to dominate the market with its own brand Isis.Industry sources said that the new, aggressive competition means around 50 mineral water producers could soon face bankruptcy.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research