UK: AG Barr's 15-week sales lift, chairman to step down
AG Barr has reported a single-digit rise in 15-week sales and announced that its chairman will step down at the end of 2014.
The Irn Bru maker's sales in the 15 weeks to 11 May climbed by 5.2% on the prior year, it said today (27 May). The company said the sales lift was “underpinned by a strong volume performance across all ... core brands”. It added: “Margins are in line with management expectations.”
The UK soft drinks market as a whole saw value growth of 1.9% and volumes slip 0.6% in the same period, according to Nielsen figures.
Looking ahead, Barr said the UK's consumer environment remains “volatile and as competitive as ever”. But, the group added: “We remain confident in delivering our expectations for the balance of the year.”
Ahead of the company's AGM today, Barr also announced that Ronnie Hanna plans to retire as chairman and step down from the group's board on 31 December. Hanna has served as chairman for five years, with 11 years on the board in total.
John Nicolson will take up the role of deputy chairman with immediate effect, then will replace Hanna as chairman at the end of the year.
In its last set of full-year results, Barr reported a 19% rise in net profits, off the back of a 7% rise in sales.
Cocktail mixers and syrups firm Funkin is now part of the AG Barr portfolio after the closure of a multi-million deal last month. Here, Funkin CEO Andrew King explains how he can help Barr grow its on...
AG Barr's cocktail mixers and syrups firm Funkin has expanded its single batch syrup range with two new flavours....
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends