UK: AG Barr to close site, cut jobs
The Scottish Irn Bru maker said it plans to invest GBP8m (US$13.5m) - GBP10m over the next 12 months at its Cumbernauld site in Scotland in a bid to increase capacity there.
The investment would absorb all current PET packaged products from the Mansfield factory, the company said late last week.
AG Barr said it has entered into a consultation process with employees at the Mansfield site, where 98 employees will be affected, along with a "small number" of further employees.
The company said it has also proposed to commence discussions with third party logistics companies with a view to establishing a third party operated central distribution hub for the south of the country.
The proposal would mean ceasing its current in-house storage and distribution operations at the Mansfield site and the exit from existing Rubicon third party logistics operations.
AG Barr reported a 27% jump in net sales for its fiscal half-year last month, thanks to growing demand for signature brand Irn-Bru and the contribution of the Rubicon drinks business.
Net sales for the six months to the end of July rose by 27% to GBP104.7m (US$166m), compared to GBP82.4m in the same period of last year.
The UK soft drinks market grew by 2% in value in 2009, enough for sales in the on-trade to climb ahead of spirits to take the number two spot behind beer....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends