UK: AG Barr switches attention from Britvic to Lucozade, Ribena - report
Could Lucozade and Ribena satisfy AG Barr's itchy trigger finger?
A story in The Sunday Times yesterday (14 July) claimed that Barr, which owns the Irn Bru brand, is looking to recruit a private equity partner to help fund a move for the two soft drinks brands. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) confirmed in April that it plans to sell Lucozade and Ribena, in order to focus its efforts more on its pharmaceutical and vaccine operations, as well as its non-soft drink consumer healthcare brands.
The news story, which does not cite sources, said that Barr may partner with Blackstone or Lion Capital.
No-one at Barr or GSK was immediately available to discuss the reports when contacted by just-drinks this morning.
Last week, Barr saw its proposed merger with Britvic fall off the table after Britvic rejected an improved bid from the Scottish drinks firm. The two began merger discussions in September last year.
Lucozade is available in 30 markets, while Ribena is in 24 countries. Neither are on sale in the US. Last year, the two brands generated sales of GBP600m (US$939.5m) for GSK.
GlaxoSmithKline Plc in Soft Drinks (United Kingdom)
In 2013, GlaxoSmithKline Plc announced plans to sell its Ribena and Lucozade brands. The company will eventually sell these two brands to refocus on faster-growing global products (such as Horlicks in...read more
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Following the acquisition of Irish company C&C (Ireland) Ltd in 2007 Britvic Ireland Ltd has held a firm position in soft drinks, offering leading brands such as Club and Ballygowan in Ireland. Despit...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report