UK: AG Barr switches attention from Britvic to Lucozade, Ribena - report
Could Lucozade and Ribena satisfy AG Barr's itchy trigger finger?
A story in The Sunday Times yesterday (14 July) claimed that Barr, which owns the Irn Bru brand, is looking to recruit a private equity partner to help fund a move for the two soft drinks brands. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) confirmed in April that it plans to sell Lucozade and Ribena, in order to focus its efforts more on its pharmaceutical and vaccine operations, as well as its non-soft drink consumer healthcare brands.
The news story, which does not cite sources, said that Barr may partner with Blackstone or Lion Capital.
No-one at Barr or GSK was immediately available to discuss the reports when contacted by just-drinks this morning.
Last week, Barr saw its proposed merger with Britvic fall off the table after Britvic rejected an improved bid from the Scottish drinks firm. The two began merger discussions in September last year.
Lucozade is available in 30 markets, while Ribena is in 24 countries. Neither are on sale in the US. Last year, the two brands generated sales of GBP600m (US$939.5m) for GSK.
GlaxoSmithKline Plc in Soft Drinks (United Kingdom)
In 2013, GlaxoSmithKline Plc announced plans to sell its Ribena and Lucozade brands. The company will eventually sell these two brands to refocus on faster-growing global products (such as Horlicks in...read more
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly