UK: AG Barr switches attention from Britvic to Lucozade, Ribena - report
Could Lucozade and Ribena satisfy AG Barr's itchy trigger finger?
A story in The Sunday Times yesterday (14 July) claimed that Barr, which owns the Irn Bru brand, is looking to recruit a private equity partner to help fund a move for the two soft drinks brands. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) confirmed in April that it plans to sell Lucozade and Ribena, in order to focus its efforts more on its pharmaceutical and vaccine operations, as well as its non-soft drink consumer healthcare brands.
The news story, which does not cite sources, said that Barr may partner with Blackstone or Lion Capital.
No-one at Barr or GSK was immediately available to discuss the reports when contacted by just-drinks this morning.
Last week, Barr saw its proposed merger with Britvic fall off the table after Britvic rejected an improved bid from the Scottish drinks firm. The two began merger discussions in September last year.
Lucozade is available in 30 markets, while Ribena is in 24 countries. Neither are on sale in the US. Last year, the two brands generated sales of GBP600m (US$939.5m) for GSK.
The American Beverage Association (ABA) has said a report that claims US soft drinks makers are ahead of a calorie cut-back plan proves public and private sector co-operation can produce "real, tangib...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review