UK: AG Barr shareholders approve Britvic merger
AG Barr and Britvic announced the proposed merger in November
Shareholders gave their backing for new company - Barr Britvic Soft Drinks - to be formed during a show of hands at a Barr general meeting today (8 January), the company said. The merger is expected to go through on 30 January, but remains subject to approval from the UK's Office of Fair Trading.
Barr and Britvic agreed in November on an all-share merger to create what will be one of Europe's largest soft drinks makers. Barr Britvic Soft Drinks is expected to have an annual turnover of around GBP1.5bn (US$2.4bn).
It follows a difficult 2012 for Britvic that saw problems caused by a product recall and bad weather in Europe.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
Britvic requires a "significant cultural change", an analyst has warned while dismissing its chairman's claims performance has improved since it agreed to merge with AG Barr....
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
Britvic's sidelined merger with AG Barr is likely to go ahead despite a new cost-savings plan from Britvic that suggests it could go it alone, an analyst has said....
AG Barr has avoided action from the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after an Irn Bru ad attracted 176 complaints. ...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015