UK: AG Barr defends ad after "anti-English" complaints
Barr says its ads are "cheeky"
AG Barr has defended its latest Irn Bru ad after dozens of viewers claimed it is "anti-English".
A total of 68 people have complained about the “New Fella” spot, which can be viewed below, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) told just-drinks today (10 April). Most of the complaints said the 40-second ad “encouraged racial prejudices” and was “anti-English”, the ASA said.
However, a spokesperson for Barr, which is based outside Glasgow, said the firm had not set out to cause offence.
“Our advertising is well known for its cheeky sense of humour and this ad is no different," the spokesperson added. "We do not believe it to be racist or anti-English in anyway and indeed the positive feedback from almost everyone who has contacted us about the advert would support this.”
Not all of the complaints said the ad was anti-English. According to ASA two people complained the ad was anti-Scottish.
The ad, which is only being aired in Scotland, was launched three weeks ago, the spokesperson said. It is scheduled to run for another three weeks.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets