UK: AG Barr defends ad after "anti-English" complaints
Barr says its ads are "cheeky"
AG Barr has defended its latest Irn Bru ad after dozens of viewers claimed it is "anti-English".
A total of 68 people have complained about the “New Fella” spot, which can be viewed below, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) told just-drinks today (10 April). Most of the complaints said the 40-second ad “encouraged racial prejudices” and was “anti-English”, the ASA said.
However, a spokesperson for Barr, which is based outside Glasgow, said the firm had not set out to cause offence.
“Our advertising is well known for its cheeky sense of humour and this ad is no different," the spokesperson added. "We do not believe it to be racist or anti-English in anyway and indeed the positive feedback from almost everyone who has contacted us about the advert would support this.”
Not all of the complaints said the ad was anti-English. According to ASA two people complained the ad was anti-Scottish.
The ad, which is only being aired in Scotland, was launched three weeks ago, the spokesperson said. It is scheduled to run for another three weeks.
Carbonated Soft Drinks in the United Kingdom
Carbonated Soft Drinks in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profi...read more
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Following the acquisition of Irish company C&C (Ireland) Ltd in 2007 Britvic Ireland Ltd has held a firm position in soft drinks, offering leading brands such as Club and Ballygowan in Ireland. Despit...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review