UK: AG Barr chairman to step down
The chairman of AG Barr has confirmed his intention to stand down later this year.
The soft drinks company, which owns the Irn-Bru CSD brand, said yesterday (16 march) that Robin Barr, 71, plans to step down from the position at Barr's AGM in May.
Robin Barr, the last surviving boardroom member of the company's founding family, has held the post for 31 years and has been a director of AG Barr for 44 years. He will remain on the board after he has stood down, but in a non-executive role.
Ronnie Hanna, who has served as a non-executive director on the company's board for the last five years, will become non-executive chairman in May. Hanna, aged 66, is also the chairman of Bowleven, the AIM-listed oil and gas exploration company, and is chairman of Glasgow Income Trust.
"Now is the right time for me to step down as chairman," said Robin Barr. "The business is in excellent shape with a strong and stable executive team. I have great confidence in handing over to Ronnie Hanna who will provide the leadership, experience and drive to maintain the positive momentum in the business despite the current difficult economic times."
At the same time, the firm announced the appointment of Jonathan Warburton as an independent non-executive director. Warburton, aged 51, is the chairman of Warburtons Ltd, the privately-owned branded bakery business.
Environmental concerns have climbed steadily up the agenda for soft drinks producers in recent years. However, Annette Farr writes, progress has been faster in the UK than in the US....
AG Barr, producer of Irn-Bru, plans to subdivide its share capital in order attract more investment....
AG Barr has launched a limited edition heritage can for its Irn-Bru brand....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends