UK: AG Barr, Britvic merger problems "disappointing" - analyst
The merger is "off the table"
Wayne Brown, analyst at Canaccord Genuity, confirmed the deal is now “off the table” after the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) referred it to the Competition Commission today. “We think it is a disappointing ruling as the merger would have made a lot of sense for both businesses,” Brown told just-drinks today (13 February).
“At this stage, we are unaware of what the OFT found to be trouble and which brands they were concerned about,” he said.
The Competition Commission will rule by the middle of July, Brown suggested.
In a statement today, the OFT said it is concerned the merger could reduce competition between “certain brands” of Barr and Britvic.
Brown said Britvic has more to lose from the collapse because of its high levels of debt. It would have benefited from the strength of AG Barr's owned brand portfolio, Barr's more technologically advanced infrastructure, and strong management team, Brown said.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research