UK: AG Barr, Britvic merger problems "disappointing" - analyst
The merger is "off the table"
Wayne Brown, analyst at Canaccord Genuity, confirmed the deal is now “off the table” after the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) referred it to the Competition Commission today. “We think it is a disappointing ruling as the merger would have made a lot of sense for both businesses,” Brown told just-drinks today (13 February).
“At this stage, we are unaware of what the OFT found to be trouble and which brands they were concerned about,” he said.
The Competition Commission will rule by the middle of July, Brown suggested.
In a statement today, the OFT said it is concerned the merger could reduce competition between “certain brands” of Barr and Britvic.
Brown said Britvic has more to lose from the collapse because of its high levels of debt. It would have benefited from the strength of AG Barr's owned brand portfolio, Barr's more technologically advanced infrastructure, and strong management team, Brown said.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Following the acquisition of Irish company C&C (Ireland) Ltd in 2007 Britvic Ireland Ltd has held a firm position in soft drinks, offering leading brands such as Club and Ballygowan in Ireland. Despit...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report