UK: AG Barr, Britvic merger problems "disappointing" - analyst
The merger is "off the table"
Wayne Brown, analyst at Canaccord Genuity, confirmed the deal is now “off the table” after the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) referred it to the Competition Commission today. “We think it is a disappointing ruling as the merger would have made a lot of sense for both businesses,” Brown told just-drinks today (13 February).
“At this stage, we are unaware of what the OFT found to be trouble and which brands they were concerned about,” he said.
The Competition Commission will rule by the middle of July, Brown suggested.
In a statement today, the OFT said it is concerned the merger could reduce competition between “certain brands” of Barr and Britvic.
Brown said Britvic has more to lose from the collapse because of its high levels of debt. It would have benefited from the strength of AG Barr's owned brand portfolio, Barr's more technologically advanced infrastructure, and strong management team, Brown said.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts