UK: AG Barr, Britvic merger hits the rocks over competition concerns
The merger faces uncertainty over competition concerns
In an announcement today (13 February) the OFT said that it was making the referral due to "concerns that it could reduce competition between certain brands" of the two companies. Amelia Fletcher, the OFT's chief economist said: "Our investigation has identified competition concerns relating to this deal with respect to Barr's Irn Bru and Orangina brands which could lead to higher prices for consumers."
As a result of the referral the deal, agreed last November, has technically collapsed. However, just-drinks understands that both groups are waiting for full details of the OFT's decision before deciding whether to revive the deal. It is understood the companies would have to hold another shareholder vote on the issue.
An AG Barr spokesperson told just-drinks: "The belief still is the merger will not result in competition problems."
In a joint statement, the companies said they will "continue to work together".
Meanwhile, Britvic announced today that is has appointed Simon Litherland as its new CEO with immediate effect. Outgoing CEO Paul Moody is retiring from the group but will stay on for six months to "ensure a smooth handover", the company said.
To read an exclusive analyst's take on the decision, click here.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research