UK: AG Barr, Britvic merger hits the rocks over competition concerns
The merger faces uncertainty over competition concerns
In an announcement today (13 February) the OFT said that it was making the referral due to "concerns that it could reduce competition between certain brands" of the two companies. Amelia Fletcher, the OFT's chief economist said: "Our investigation has identified competition concerns relating to this deal with respect to Barr's Irn Bru and Orangina brands which could lead to higher prices for consumers."
As a result of the referral the deal, agreed last November, has technically collapsed. However, just-drinks understands that both groups are waiting for full details of the OFT's decision before deciding whether to revive the deal. It is understood the companies would have to hold another shareholder vote on the issue.
An AG Barr spokesperson told just-drinks: "The belief still is the merger will not result in competition problems."
In a joint statement, the companies said they will "continue to work together".
Meanwhile, Britvic announced today that is has appointed Simon Litherland as its new CEO with immediate effect. Outgoing CEO Paul Moody is retiring from the group but will stay on for six months to "ensure a smooth handover", the company said.
To read an exclusive analyst's take on the decision, click here.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research