UK: AG Barr, Britvic bullish over merger prospects despite competition probe
The proposed merger could yet still happen
The GBP1.5bn (US$2.4bn) merger, first announced in November, hit a stumbling block yesterday (13 February) when the UK's Office of Fair Trading said it had referred the deal to the Competition Commission. The OFT said that it has competition concerns over some brands, which could mean higher prices for consumers.
But, in a joint statement today (14 February), the companies argued that the deal "will not result in a substantial lessening of competition" and they will be able to prove that to the Competition Commission.
The groups said they want to work with the commission with "a view to seeking clearance of the proposed merger".
"A.G. Barr and Britvic consider there to be compelling rationale for clearance," the companies said.
The Competition Commission's investigation is expected to take around six months.
Barr and Britvic's board will have to reconsider the deal if it receives clearance.
However, the statement added: "There can be no certainty or assurance that, following such clearance, any such merger would be forthcoming or that any offer will be made by either A.G. Barr or Britvic."
To read an analyst's take on the situation, click here
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends