GLOBAL: "Affordable indulgence" protects Diageo from recession
The head of Diageo has played down fears that the drinks company could be negatively hit by ongoing uncertainty on the world's stock markets.
In a UK television interview yesterday (29 January), Paul Walsh said that Diageo's presence in a large number of markets puts the company in a strong position, despite the recent credit crush.
"I'm still confident about our market on a global basis," Walsh said. "We operate in 180 countries around the world. If you go to markets like India, China or Latin America and you say 'recession', they would look at you with a very strange face."
Walsh added that, despite fears of a recession in some markets, he did not feel that consumers would sacrifice their desire to drink Diageo's beverages.
"The products we sell represent affordable indulgence," he said. "This isn't like going out and buying a new car or going on a big holiday. This is something to reward yourself with."
Earlier this week, Diageo confirmed that it will buy Californian winery Rosenblum Cellars for US$105m.
"With today's announcement, we're now the second largest premium wine company in the US," Walsh noted. "You have to very selective around the economics. If you overpay for an asset, you will not get the returns. We are very disciplined, and we do not overpay for assets."
Pernod Ricard has announced it has completed its €5.69bn acquisition of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit, after receiving the green light from EU competition authorities....
US stock car racer Jamie McMurray is to get behind the wheel of a taxi as part of a campaign with Diageo's Crown Royal Canadian whisky....
Diageo Australia is investing A$400,000 (US$328,000) in Johnnie Walker brand activity for Father's Day....
Diageo has increased the media spend for its Smirnoff vodka brand in the UK by 70%....
Heineken has poached a senior marketing executive from Diageo in the US....
Whyte & Mackay has declined to comment on reports that it is considering a move for Glenmorangie's Glen Moray Distillery....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Diageo has begun trialling two new vodka flavours in a select number of pubs and bars in the UK....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts